After the recent flooding some may be concerned the extra water will mean extra mosquitoes. Flooding or heavy rainfall produce temporary quiet pools of water which can remain for weeks, available for mosquito breeding. Mosquito reproduction is rapid and a generation can be completed in as few as 5 -7 days. For more than 20 years, ABC Termite & Pest Control has been providing Mosquito Treatment in Lincoln NE and Omaha NE to commercial, institutional, and residential areas.
Mosquito Treatment Lincoln NE & Omaha NE
Whether it’s grilling, gardening or just playing in the yard, outdoor activities can turn from fun to foul quickly when mosquitoes are involved. Here are the most common types of mosquitoes in the area.
Introduction to Mosquitoes
They belong to the Insect Order Diptera, or flies. There are about 140 species in North America. They are found in many diverse aquatic habitats, from salt to fresh water. Today the relation of mosquitoes to disease transmission is very common. Both West Nile Virus and encephalitis are virus diseases which circulate in a bird-mosquito cycle. This can be picked up and carried by mosquitoes to humans. Horses are also affected. Canine heart-worms are carried to dogs by mosquitoes. Also, some individuals experience an allergic response to mosquito feeding.
Possess piercing-sucking mouthparts and are blood feeders. When the female mosquito bites, she injects salivary enzymes and anticoagulants. The saliva may also contain disease organisms picked up from an earlier feeding on an infected host. Through successive feedings, these disease-causing organisms can readily be transmitted among birds, other animals and humans.
They have “feathery-looking” antennas and mouthparts and feed on floral nectars.
The ABC of Mosquito Treatment in Lincoln NE & Omaha NE
PREP FOR EACH APPLICATION:
- Collect and cover all kid’s and pet toys from the areas to be treated: Entire yard, under decks, areas with foliage, under trees, etc.
- Fish Ponds: Precautionary – Turn off circulation pumps and stretch a tarp over the pond and anchor the tarp with bricks, stone or other heavy objects. May be removed when application is complete. ASK ABOUT OUR ‘FISH SAFE’ MOSQUITO DUNKS’
- Pet dishes are emptied, overturned and/or removed
- Consider mowing the day before the application.
- APPLICATION IS RAINFAST AND SAFE FOR PETS AS SOON AS IT IS DRY depends on the day.
- Tip over or throw away and receptacle that will hold rainwater or collect condensation or dew. Items as small as a pop bottle lid or empty aluminum can are enough to support mosquito larvae.
- Property Upkeep:
- clear brush and wood piles
- leafy debris piled up in unmaintained areas
- clean debris out of window wells
- fire bowls – empty regularly or drill a drain hole in the bottom if it holds water
- Minimize or limit all standing or stagnant water in rain barrels, ornamental ponds, bird baths, watering cans, children’s toys, etc.
- Anything that can fill up with rainwater should be tipped so it drains or turned over so it won’t collect water.
ORNAMENTAL & FISH PONDS: Ask us about Mosquito Dunks
Find a reputable local pest control professional that you TRUST and have them do the work for you. Check them out on the BBB and read their reviews on Google to see what kinds of experiences other people have had with them.
You may think you are saving money however, a single misapplication could have significant and adverse or deadly consequences for you or your loved ones.