Mosquitoes can be a pesky problem for the majority of the year in most markets. Conditions like rain or the use of sprinkler systems can attract mosquitoes when you’re looking to enjoy your backyard. Whether it’s grilling, gardening or just playing in the yard, outdoor activities can turn from fun to foul quickly when mosquitoes are involved. If you are experiencing these problems, it may be best to look for mosquitoes services in Omaha.
Mosquitoes Prevention Tips & Services in Omaha & Lincoln, NE
Use Your Screens
Maximize fresh air indoors, but introduce a bug-proof barrier. We advise using fine mesh screens in all open windows and doors. This allows cross-breezes to enter your house, but the screens’ openings are too small for mosquitoes to permeate. Consider screening in your porch as well.
If you’ve got screens already, check the seals around the edges and use a patching kit to repair any tears.
Get Rid of Standing Water
Mosquitoes reproduce in water, and they can do it in even the small amount of water that would fit in a bottle cap.
That means it’s imperative to empty outdoor water toys and remove wheelbarrows or other outdoor gear that can catch water after a rainfall. Keep your gutters and drain lines clear of debris—clogged leaves and branches can cause water to pool.
In a mere four days, eggs laid in water mature into nypmths. So if it rains on a Monday, don’t wait until the weekend to get rid of standing water. By then, it’ll be too late.
Use Fans Even Outdoors
Using a fan makes it harder for mosquitoes to fly against the air current, it also helps disperse carbon dioxide emitted by humans. That secondary benefit’s a good one, since mosquitoes detect the compound in the air we exhale, which guides them when they’re looking to feed.
Keep Covered and Use Repellent
To guard against bites, wear long sleeves, use an effective insect repellent and avoid going outside at prime feeding times—dawn and dusk. These safeguards can minimize your exposure, cutting your risk of mosquito-transmitted illness so you can enjoy the outdoors with more peace of mind.
The ABC of Mosquito Reduction Services
PREP FOR EACH APPLICATION:
- Collect and cover all kid’s and pet toys from the areas to be treated: Entire yard, under decks, areas with foliage, under trees, etc.
- Fish Ponds: Precautionary – Turn off circulation pumps and stretch a tarp over the pond and anchor the tarp with bricks, stone or other heavy objects. May be removed when application is complete. ASK ABOUT OUR ‘FISH SAFE’ MOSQUITO DUNKS’
- Pet dishes are emptied, overturned and/or removed
- Consider mowing the day before the application.
- APPLICATION IS RAINFAST AND SAFE FOR PETS AS SOON AS IT IS DRY depends on the day.
- Tip over or throw away and receptacle that will hold rainwater or collect condensation or dew. Items as small as a pop bottle lid or empty aluminum can are enough to support mosquito larvae.
- Property Upkeep:
- clear brush and wood piles
- leafy debris piled up in unmaintained areas
- clean debris out of window wells
- fire bowls – empty regularly or drill a drain hole in the bottom if it holds water
- Minimize or limit all standing or stagnant water in rain barrels, ornamental ponds, bird baths, watering cans, children’s toys, etc.
- Anything that can fill up with rainwater should be tipped so it drains or turned over so it won’t collect water.
ORNAMENTAL & FISH PONDS: Ask us about Mosquito Dunks
Find a reputable local pest control professional that you TRUST and have them do the work for you. Check them out on the BBB and read their reviews on Google to see what kinds of experiences other people have had with them.
You may think you are saving money however, a single misapplication could have significant and adverse or deadly consequences for you or your loved ones.