Nobody wants to spend their summer swatting insects away. You should be able to enjoy your garden in all its glory without having to fight your way from the porch to the shed. Unfortunately, mosquitos didn’t get that particular memo, and so in order to teach them a lesson, pay close attention from here on in.
Repelling Mosquitoes in Your Yard
Mosquitoes are not only annoying, but they can also carry dangerous diseases like Zika and West Nile virus. If you want to enjoy your yard without worrying about these pests, there are several effective ways to repel mosquitoes and keep them from breeding in your outdoor space. Here are some tips on how to get rid of mosquitoes in your yard:
Remove Standing Water
Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, so it’s important to remove any sources of stagnant water in your yard. This includes emptying and cleaning any water features, such as birdbaths or fountains, and fixing any leaks in outdoor plumbing.
Install a Mosquito Magnet
A mosquito magnet is a device that emits carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes. Once the mosquitoes are attracted to the device, they are trapped and killed. This is an effective way to reduce the mosquito population in your yard.
Use Mosquito Repelling Plants
Certain plants, such as lemon-scented plants like lemon balm and lemon grass, can help repel mosquitoes. Planting these around your yard can make a big difference in keeping mosquitoes at bay.
Set Up Mosquito Traps
Similar to the mosquito magnet, mosquito traps can help reduce the mosquito population in your yard. These traps use a combination of carbon dioxide and heat to attract and trap mosquitoes, preventing them from breeding and laying eggs.
Use Insect Repellent
When spending time outdoors, it’s important to protect yourself from mosquito bites. Use an insect repellent containing DEET or other recommended ingredients to keep mosquitoes from biting you.
Eliminate Breeding Grounds
In addition to standing water, mosquitoes can also breed in other moist areas such as damp soil or mulch. Make sure to eliminate these breeding grounds by keeping your yard clean and dry.
Kill Mosquito Larvae
If you do have standing water in your yard, such as in a pond or pool, you can use a larvicide to kill mosquito larvae before they have a chance to mature into adult mosquitoes.
Use Essential Oils
Certain essential oils, such as citronella, lavender, and peppermint, can also help repel mosquitoes. You can use these oils in candles, diffusers, or even in a spray bottle mixed with water to create a natural mosquito repellent.
Mosquito Control Services
PREP FOR EACH APPLICATION:
- Collect and cover all kid’s and pet toys from the areas to be treated: Entire yard, under decks, areas with foliage, under trees, etc.
- Fish Ponds: Precautionary – Turn off circulation pumps and stretch a tarp over the pond and anchor the tarp with bricks, stone or other heavy objects. May be removed when application is complete. ASK ABOUT OUR ‘FISH SAFE’ MOSQUITO DUNKS’
- Pet dishes are emptied, overturned and/or removed
- Consider mowing the day before the application.
- Tip over or throw away and receptacle that will hold rainwater or collect condensation or dew. Items as small as a pop bottle lid or empty aluminum can are enough to support mosquito larvae.
- Property Upkeep:
- clear brush and wood piles
- leafy debris piled up in unmaintained areas
- clean debris out of window wells
- fire bowls – empty regularly or drill a drain hole in the bottom if it holds water
- Minimize or limit all standing or stagnant water in rain barrels, ornamental ponds, bird baths, watering cans, children’s toys, etc.
- Anything that can fill up with rainwater should be tipped so it drains or turned over so it won’t collect water.
ORNAMENTAL & FISH PONDS: Ask us about Mosquito Dunks
Repelling mosquitoes from your yard requires a multi-faceted approach that includes eliminating standing water, using mosquito magnets and traps, planting mosquito-repelling plants, using insect repellent, and eliminating breeding grounds. By taking these steps, you can enjoy your outdoor space without the annoyance and potential danger of mosquito bites.
Get Rid of Mosquitoes in Your Yard
In addition to the tips mentioned above, there are several other things you can do to help in repelling mosquitoes from your yard:
- Consider the Time of Day: Mosquitoes are most active during dawn and dusk, so try to avoid spending time outdoors during these times if possible. If you do need to be outside during these times, wear protective clothing and use insect repellent.
- Use Fans: Mosquitoes are weak fliers, so using fans can help keep them away. Place a fan near where you’re sitting to create a breeze that will make it difficult for mosquitoes to fly.
- Use Yellow Light Bulbs: Mosquitoes are attracted to bright white or blue light, so consider switching to yellow light bulbs for your outdoor lighting. This will make your yard less attractive to mosquitoes.
- Maintain Your Yard: Keeping your yard well-maintained can also help reduce the mosquito population. Trim back any overgrown vegetation, as this can provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Remove any debris or clutter, as these can also hold water and attract mosquitoes.
- Use Garlic: Garlic is a natural mosquito repellent that can be used in a variety of ways. You can crush garlic and mix it with water to create a spray, or you can use garlic oil in a diffuser or candles.
It’s important to remember that while these methods can help in repelling mosquitoes, it’s impossible to completely eliminate them from your yard. Mosquitoes are resilient insects that can adapt to different environments, so it’s important to use multiple methods to keep them at bay. By taking a comprehensive approach to mosquito control, you can enjoy your outdoor space without the annoyance and potential danger of mosquito bites.
Find a reputable termite inspection company in Omaha or Lincoln that you TRUST and ask about their pest management services. You may think you are saving money however, a single misapplication could have significant and adverse or deadly consequences for you or your loved ones. Contact ABC Termite & Pest Control in Omaha & Lincoln, NE today!